By William Deverell, David Igler
This quantity of unique essays by means of top students is an leading edge, thorough creation to the heritage and tradition of California.
- Includes 30 essays by way of best students within the field
- Essays diversity generally throughout views, together with political, social, fiscal, and environmental history
- Essays with related methods are paired and grouped to paintings as person items and as partners to one another during the text
- Produced in organization with the Huntington-USC Institute on California and the West
Read Online or Download A Companion to California History PDF
Best state & local books
This publication is a facsimile reprint and will comprise imperfections equivalent to marks, notations, marginalia and unsuitable pages.
We frequently sing the "Star Spangled Banner," yet what do the phrases suggest? Why did Franklin Delano Roosevelt remain in workplace longer than the other U. S. president? Following the fashion of an old style primer, the yank Reader solutions such questions because it offers teenagers a contemporary, well-rounded view of what it skill to be a very good citizen.
Did you know——that a brand new Jerseyan used to be the 1st president of the us? —that New Jersey used to be the positioning of the 1st prepared collage soccer online game? —that New Jersey was once the site of 1 of the main devastating espionage assaults of global warfare I? —that the heroics of a brand new Jersey girl stored hundreds of thousands of individuals from death of yellow fever?
- Historical Atlas of the Outlaw West
- There's More to New Jersey than the Sopranos
- Wellspring of Liberty: How Virginia's Religious Dissenters Helped Win the American Revolution and Secured Religious Liberty
- Lay Down With Dogs: The Story of Hugh Otis Bynum and the Scottsboro First Monday Bombing
- Ordered Liberty: A Constitutional History of NY
Additional info for A Companion to California History
And Bean, Walton. 2003. California: An Interpretive History, 8th edn. San Francisco: McGraw-Hill. Rodriguez, Richard Rodriguez. 2006. “Disappointment,” California Magazine (January/February), 117 (1): 15. Rohrbough, Malcolm J. 1997. Days of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the American Nation. Berkeley: University of California Press. Schrag, Peter. 1998. Paradise Lost: California’s Experience, America’s Future. Berkeley: University of California Press. Schrag, Peter. 2006. California: America’s High-Stakes Experiment.
The histories we tell about the places in which we live have a shaping power over those places. If you had stood on a levee overlooking the Los Angeles River on any summer day in the last 30 years, anywhere below the sharp loop the river makes at the industrial city of Vernon, when the only thing stirring on the ﬂat waste of riverbed concrete is the reclaimed waste water running in the “low ﬂow” slot down the middle of the channel, skepticism surely would have triumphed over any hope that meaning still clings to so many miles of glaring whiteness.
Farewell to Manzanar. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifﬂin. Isenberg, Barbara. 2000. State of the Arts: California Artists Talk about Their Work. New York: William W. Morrow. Jimenez, Francisco. 1997. The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press. Jimenez, Francisco. 2001. Breaking Through. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifﬂin. Kroeber, Theodora. 1962. Ishi in Two Worlds: A Biography of the Last Wild Indian in North America. Berkeley: University of California Press.